They say knowledge is power, and that’s undoubtedly accurate when talking about your air conditioner. While complex repairs are best left to professionals, it’s helpful to have a practical understanding of your air conditioner and how to solve ordinary AC issues.
Understanding how your AC works and the typical problems it faces will enable you to fix easy problems without needing to call an HVAC specialist every time. This not only saves you cash on minor service calls, but understanding when to contact a professional can help prevent small issues from escalating into catastrophic repairs.
Your Air conditioner is an important element of your home comfort. Because of that, you should always err on the side of caution and call a NATE-certified professional for air conditioning repair in Muldrow if you're unsure about any aspect of your air conditioning system’s operation or maintenance.
Here are a few of the typical questions people ask our experts about their air conditioners:
1. How Do I Clean an Air Conditioner?
Cleaning an air conditioner is a good way to make sure it operates efficiently, and possibly could extend the life of your unit.
The most significant action you can take on your own is to replace the air filter in your air conditioner. The filter catches dust, pollen, pet hair and other debris, and removes those impurities from the air circulating throughout your home. If your AC filter becomes clogged, the air conditioner has to work harder than it really should in order to force air through the filter. A clean filter traps the airborne debris while still enabling air to flow easily through the system.
Replacement filters can be purchased at most popular home improvement stores, hardware stores or can be bought from your local HVAC specialist. A good way to make sure you get the right filter is to look at your old one before you head out for the store, jotting down the size of the filter. If you’re not familiar with filters, it’s also a smart idea to note the filtration level of the current filter if you are wanting to buy something similar.
For comprehensive service of your air conditioner, contact the skilled professionals like the crew at Air Service Co. to do routine maintenance on your AC. They’ll inspect your system, clean or lubricate parts that require attention and look for worn-out parts and potential problems.
2. How Do I Clean Air Conditioner Coils?
In addition to making certain that your indoor air conditioning unit is functioning efficiently, it’s necessary to tend to your outdoor unit. Cleaning the coils on the exterior unit of your AC is a quick way to improve its efficiency and can extend the life of your entire system.
The coils, which have extensions called fins, are used to release heat from the refrigerant to the outdoors. This lowers the temperature of the refrigerant, which then goes back inside your home so it can take in more heat from the air within your home. Cleansing the fins and the coils is a way to help them release heat more easily.
To clean your air conditioner’s fins and coil:
1) First, turn off power to the outdoor unit. It’s best to disconnect it completely from power, instead of turning the thermostat off.
2) Lift off the top of the outdoor AC so you can enter the inside of the unit. Then, being careful not to strain any cords or attachments, safely move the top to the side.
3) Spray a cleaning solution on the fins, starting at the top and moving down. Commercial coil cleaners are available and commonly found in both the canned aerosol spray from as well as in the form of foaming solutions that are applied with your garden hose.
4) Follow directions on the product to apply. For most brands, it's recommended that you spray the product on, let the cleaner soak in for a brief period of time to attack the grime and then gently spray it off with a garden hose. Take care not to spray too hard, because that could damage the coils or fins!
5) Secure the top back on the unit and then wait for the coils and fins to dry before turning it back on.
3. How Long Do Air Conditioners Last?
The life span of an air conditioner depends on the type of unit, its quality, if maintained and how much it's used. Having said that, experts say you should start getting ready for air conditioner replacement after about 12-15 years.
One of the best ways to get maximum value from your system is through regularly scheduled conditioner maintenance. Tuneups from Air Service Co. features cleaning and inspecting the machinery, as well as putting in a new filter and mending any worn-out or broken parts. To keep your unit operating as long as it can, call us today to schedule air conditioning maintenance in Muldrow.
4. What Size Air Conditioner Do I Need?
Finding the correct sized air conditioner for your home is critical for achieving comfort and efficiency. Here are some points to think about when deciding what size air conditioner is right for your home:
- Square footage: The total area of the space you want to cool is one of the biggest factors. More expansive spaces demand more cooling power.
- Home insulation: Well-insulated homes hold cool air better, which should reduce your cooling needs.
- Climate: If you are living in a hotter climate, you'll need a more powerful air conditioner compared to a person living in a cooler environment.
- Number of windows: Windows frequently let in heat, especially when they're south-facing or not well-insulated.
- Number of residents: More people in the house produce additional body heat, which can impact your cooling needs.
- Present HVAC system: The size and capability of your current system can provide a starting point for deciding what you need.
Due to the fact the size of your AC is so important to your home’s comfort, you will likely want a professional opinion. At Air Service Co., we take the time to thoroughly understand your family’s lifestyle, comfort needs and the many other variables such as your home’s design and size. This attention to detail and dedication to customer service is why Air Service Co. is known for superb air conditioning installation in Muldrow.
5. How Much Does an Air Conditioner Cost?
While prices differ depending on the type of the unit and your home’s unique requirements, a new AC generally costs between $5,000 and $12,500 to purchase and install. On the plus side, a benefit of air conditioning replacement is that new air conditioners are designed to be extremely efficient, so they do more with less power when compared to older units.
The cost of an air conditioner is affected by several factors during the manufacturing process, such as the cost and availability of raw materials, manufacturing and labor costs as well as federal regulations that require modifications to the design.
Realize these are average costs and prices can differ. It's always a good idea to get several quotes from trustworthy HVAC companies before making a decision. If you’re contemplating air conditioning replacement in Muldrow, get in touch with Air Service Co.. We will provide you with a no-cost estimate, describe the process and help connect you with available rebates or discounts.
6. What Causes an Air Conditioner to Freeze Up?
An AC freezing up can be brought on by a variety of factors, all of which boil down to the system's inability to efficiently transfer heat. If your unit is experiencing issues causing it to freeze up, it is more than likely time for air conditioning repair.
Here are some common triggers for AC freezing up:
- Poor airflow: If the air isn't flowing correctly through your AC system, it can't adequately absorb heat. This could be due to a plugged air filter, blocked return air ducts or a failing fan.
- Low refrigerant levels: If your air conditioner is starting to get low on refrigerant, it may become too cold and freeze up. This is usually a consequence of leaks in the refrigerant lines.
- Frosty outdoor temperatures: Using the air conditioner when it's very cold outside can cause the system to freeze. The majority of units aren't designed to function in temperatures below 60 degrees Fahrenheit (15 degrees Celsius).
- Mechanical failures: Faulty thermostats, damaged blower motors and trouble with the relay or control board can all contribute to an AC unit freezing up.
Air Service Co. is the Trustworthy Source for Air Conditioning Service in Muldrow.
At Air Service Co., we are focusing on making your home a comfortable and soothing place. Our knowledgeable technicians are up-to-date on the latest industry training and trends, and work on on a wide variety of systems. That’s why community members make us the premier choice for air conditioning repair in Muldrow and neighboring cities.
If you’re wanting to upgrade or its time for a replacement, we’ve got you covered there too, with our top-notch air conditioning installation in Muldrow. No matter what, we can help you solve your cooling issues!
Contact Air Service Co. today at 918-212-8943 to schedule an appointment or free estimate!