Whenever your gas furnace is working, carbon monoxide is being formed. However, there is no reason to worry. It is a natural result of the fuel-burning process. As long as your furnace is working properly, it is safely deposited outside your home. Carbon monoxide is contained inside your furnace’s heat exchanger until it is safely pushed through the flue vent to the open air around your home. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a product of a malfunctioning gas furnace.
Taking in too much carbon monoxide stops the body from using oxygen and can damage the central nervous system and heart. While carbon monoxide poisoning can hurt anyone exposed to the gas, it is especially risky for people with existing lung or heart issues, pregnant woman, infants and children. Here are some tips to ease your mine mind and sustain a healthy, comfortable and safe home.
1. Invest in carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can’t be detected by humans. Without a detector, it’s almost impossible to notice carbon monoxide is accumulating in your home. You may not know until someone starts showing symptoms of poisoning. Put carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your home, ideally near bedrooms, to be alerted to rising levels before anyone gets sick.
2. Be sure your gas furnace was installed properly. If your gas furnace wasn’t installed by specialists, you should have it checked. The experts at Air Service Co. can make sure your blower motor is installed properly and that everything looks correct in your ductwork design. Carbon monoxide can collect if there are problems in those spaces.
3. Schedule annual maintenance. Annual maintenance is the best way to prevent carbon monoxide leaks from your gas furnace. During a yearly checkup, your technicians will clean your system and check it for malfunctions or problems. It’s also a decent idea to have any other gas-, coal- or oil-burning appliances professionally serviced as well.
4. Keep your air filter clean. A blockage of airflow caused by a spoiled filter can cause carbon monoxide to bleed out from your system. Set a reminder on your phone or mark your calendar to routinely check your air filter and clean or change it per the manufacturer’s instruction.
5. Always depend on professionals to repair your gas furnace and other fuel-burning appliances.
Carbon monoxide can be very dangerous, but you can have peace of mind by taking a few meaures. You’ll always have the professionals at Air Service Co. in Muldrow just around the corner to help, too. Give us a call at 918-212-8943 if you have questions or concerns about carbon monoxide or your gas furnace. You can also schedule an appointment using our online scheduler.